Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Will my late entrance be an issue with Boxing(Too old?)?

I'm 16, and I started about 5-6 months ago. My coach says it may take over a year for me to get into my first match. ): From my understanding, boxers usually advance from amateur to pro by 18-20. I'm behind in everything compared to those boxers. Am I too late? Should I stop trying and drop the idea of ever doing this for a living? It's probably the most fun thing I've ever done. I'm in love with the sport. But... I don't want to end up in my 20s boxing in the amateur ranks, or getting dropped by people who have been boxing since they were like 10 just because of a late entrance to the game. Can hard work -really- make up for the difference in entry times? That's what people tell me, but it doesn't seem to make sense. If I had been training from 10-20 and someone else trained from 16-20, I'm pretty sure I'd have a large advantage. It's not as if those people who start early don't train hard as well.. Please don't sugarcoat this. Is it a silly idea for me to continue? (I'd probably have my first amateur match at 17 or 18.. ): )

No comments:

Post a Comment