Sunday, July 17, 2011

Illegal Immigration Working Conditions?

I recently got a job at Enterprise rent a car. And I have seen the true wealings and dealings of illegal immigration. The drivers are all legal ofcoarse, they have to speak english well, so as to talk with customers. But the car preps are almost completly illegal. But the way they hire these undocumented workers is quite elusive. They call a "labor firm" and pay the firm directly. Which is 8:00 an hour, but the immigrant makes only 5 to 6 dollars, his "coyote" takes a large chunk. What I am not too sure about is the social security number, to make it look official, I think the social security # they use is that of the coyote's or his family. We all know they are illegal, but we just don't mention it. The belief is that this "labor firm" would take the fall (if there ever was one) since they guranteed a "legal worker". I can't believe what we do at times, and how the company gets away with it. I feel bad for the poor bastards, they work like slaves, and they barely make enough to live. Not only that, but they haven't a clue, they believe that one day, they will become legal, that another amnesty will take place, or that by remaining here as long as possible, it will somehow help their migratory status. And I ask them, how long do you plan to work? What about if you get sick? What about retirement? And they understand they can't get those benefits here. Or even back in their home country, ecause they don't pay taxes here or there. They understand these things, but somehow that reality doesn't register. I sometimes think about how a Union here would be imposible, or about how my brother can't find a part time like the one they got, and yes; ICE does come to mind. But, I don't want that **** on my conciouse. So its clear to me now that to solve immigration, you have to go to the root of the problem. The employers.

No comments:

Post a Comment